I can definitely fool everyone around me. From a distance, I appear to be the girliest of girls with my flat-ironed hair and bright pink laptop bags. But anyone who knows me knows that my tendencies seem remenisant of those of a 12 year old boy. My favorite things are superheroes and action movies, not to mention my preoccupation with sports. So my friends think I am that quirky girl who remains closed and unemotional, in fact, no one has ever seen me cry. But alas, I will admit it to you, dear reader, I have shed a tear but once or twice. While the occurrence isn’t often, it has happened and it becomes harder and harder to admit with time. So here I am, and here I will admit to you, that beneath my quirky, funny, and level-headed exterior, lies a true female, but I wish to remain anonymous.
How did I reach this point? Where did I come from? Well let me start with my childhood. Don’t worry I will keep it a short as possible. I grew up with two brothers, one older and one younger. The older one was a hockey star so since about age 4 I ate all my meals at the snack bar at a hockey arena. I grew up with the team, being the only girl surrounded by athletic males. This made me who I am: I strive even harder to be feminine, but yet I gave into the ninja turtles, the power rangers, and the sports until I became the platonic friend of a bunch of 20 something guys who call me “l’il sis.” That balance really stuck with me, especially through high-school where I met my first long term boyfriend, and the love of my life…. those being two separate people. My boyfriend was superficially perfect; rich, hot, smart, in a rock band… but he was also the be all end all of lying assholes. Because of that, I never trusted him enough to sleep with him, and thus I wasted many a year of “stupid sex time” with him, leaving me unsatisfied and in my 20’s. The love of my life (not the boyfriend) was simply that. He ended up being one of my best friends, but we always kept each other at a safe distance due to the fact that we both knew what was really going on. I definitely would have given everything to him, but the chance never arose, instead it was just a series of awkward moments and handshakes (followed by cold showers).
My mother is beautiful, and my father is successful. Both of them want me to be just like them. I get calls from my father encouraging me to keep up the good school work, and other calls from my mother making sure I am still getting regular eyebrow and upper-lip waxes (which I have since age 11). So I have become what I call…. average. I am average looking with an average figure. I do average in school, I am averagely clever, and I am average at most skills (unless it’s athletic and then I am just plain terrible). But I still strive to excellence, unless I get too distracted by all the amazing things that have to do with being young.
So here I am, a third year university student striving for law school and career, striving for a good family life, friendship, love and happiness. All the while I keep level-headed with my feet on the ground, until I am alone where I become Anonymously Female.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment